For those who may have seen my previous post, the post below is the story I wrote for the Food Allergy Resource and Education website:
I was at a restaurant and had made my allergies very well known to the waiter and the staff. However, they didn’t take my allergy seriously and made all of my food on the same station that they had made their famous fish menu item. I had an anaphylactic reaction about a minute after having a tiny bite of what I thought to be a “safe” cucumber with tzatziki sauce.
This was my first reaction since I had been diagnosed and I wasn’t sure when to use my epinephrine auto-injector and decided to wait because I thought mysymptoms were getting better. I told myself if I calmed down, breathed deep, and didn’t think about it, that I would feel better. I am so lucky and glad that I was with a close friend who drove me to the closest ER. She had actually tried to use my auto-injector on me, but didn’t know how to use it correctly. She, in the heat of the moment, forgot to remove the safety cap. And honestly, I don’t blame her. It was probably a terrifying moment for her as well. So that’s when I decided to wait out my symptoms.
I now know that when in doubt, you use your epinephrine auto-injector. I learned that you should NOT wait out your symptoms. Since then, I have taught and continue to teach all of my friends and family how to use an auto-injector. The most important thing is that you educate yourself on the symptoms and treatments, and you educate your loved ones as well.
Always carry your epinephrine. Always read labels. Never feel embarrassed or like you’re annoying someone when you ask to read a label, or you ask how they cooked something, or you ask how they cleaned their kitchen ware. Do not feel like you are burdening anyone, because it is your life and safety at hand.Know that you are not alone, also. There are always a tremendous amount of support and resources out there for you.